Eurlng MSc PhD CEng CSci FIMechE FEI
- Mechanical Failures
- Process Plant Performance
- Incineration, Combustion
- Public Inquiries
- Accidents, Personal Injuries
- Fires and Explosions
- Power Stations
- Flue Gas Desulphurisation (FGD)
Extensive experience in the mechanical, process, energy and environmental industries. John McCullough has acted as forensic engineer and expert witness in many cases of litigation, public inquiry and arbitration in the UK and abroad. He has acted as expert in expert determination matters in the UK and abroad and has been appointed Tribunal Expert on International Chamber of Commerce arbitration in Europe. He also does criminal cases with engineering content.
Technical subjects include: mechanical structures; power stations; pipelines; ductwork; welding; process air-conditioning; boilers; incinerators; furnaces; chimneys; automatic control; fan engineering; dust and fume handling; pollution control; waste handling; cranes; materials handling and transport; machinery; flue gas desulphurisation (FGD); process plants and power stations.
- Position: Principal Consultant, Cadogans
- Year of Birth: 1949
- Languages: Mother tongue English
Professional Qualifications and Registrations
- Eurlng, FEANI, Brussels
- Master of Science (Portsmouth)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Portsmouth)
- Chartered Engineer
- Chartered Scientist
- Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- Fellow of the Energy Institute
- Member of the Academy of Experts
- Member, Expert Witness Institute
- Member of Society of Construction Law
- UK Register of Expert Witness
- Law Society Directory of Expert Witnesses
Selection of Experience
- Mechanical, Process and Energy Engineering.
- Engineering of process air conditioning, boilers of most types, incinerators, furnaces, pipework and pipelines, chimneys, automatic control systems, fan systems, dust and fume handling, pollution control, power stations, flue gas desulphurisation (FGD), chemical process plant.
- Investigating explosions and fires.
- Investigating carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Advising on energy related projects.
- Advising on contractual disputes.
- Trouble-shooting and failure diagnosis for a wide range of process power and construction industry clients.
- Chemical/Combustion engineering research for CEGB (now National Power).
- Investigation of accidents and personal injuries.
- Assessment of Environmental Impact.
- Numerous Court Room Appearances throughout the UK and Gibraltar - Several International and National Arbitrations in UK and abroad.
- Several Public Inquiries (Town & Country Planning Act, Electricity Act and Fatal Accident) in UK.
Adjudications and Mediations in the UK.
- Typical Clients: Ilford, Kvaerner, Norsk Hydro, Tiofine, Transmanche Link, The Scottish Office, Various Scottish Health Boards, Various Local Authorities, Guinness Ltd. Many firms of solicitors, British Petroleum, ICI. Multi-National Suppliers/Contractors and Utility Companies, International Chamber of Commerce. European Bank for Reconstruction and Development.
- 2000 to 2009 Cadogans, Chairman.
- 1999 to 2004 Cadogan Tietz, Director and then Consultant.
- 1997 to 2000 Cadogan Consultants (formerly Rendel Palmer & Tritton (Scotland). Managing Director of newly bought-out multidisciplinary consultancy which was once RPT Scotland.
- Retained responsibility for and active involvement in Expert Witness and Forensic Work.
- 1996 to 1997 Rendel Palmer & Tritton (RPT) Scotland. Managing Director.
- 1996 to 1997 High-Point Rendel (Europe, Africa & Middle East). Director.
- 1992 to 1997 Cadogan Consultants. Principal.
- 1988 to 1996 Rendel Palmer & Tritton (Scotland). Director responsible for mechanical, process, forensic and environmental projects.
- 1982 to 1988 Hancox & Partners. Partner, Mechanical.
- 1980 to 1982 Building Design Partnership. Associate, Mechanical & Electrical.
- 1978 to 1980 Ilford Ltd. Senior Mechanical Engineer.
- 1975 to 1976 Glasgow District Council. Engineer, Mechanical.
- 1972 to 1974 Blyth & Blyth. Assistant Engineer, Mechanical.
- 1965 to 1972 Andrews Weatherfoil Ltd. Student Apprentice then Engineer, Mechanical.
- Many publications in journals and presentations at conferences.
- Lectured on Forensic Engineering at the University of Glasgow (part-time).
Given evidence on at least thirty five occasions in a wide range of courts and hearings; examples are as follows.
- Public Inquiries and Fatal Accident Inquiries 6
- Arbitrations 7
- Litigations 14
- Adjudications 2
- Mediations 3
- Expert Determinations 3
- Opinion sought by newspapers and television on environmental, energy and safety related issues.
- Chairman, Scottish Region Institute of Energy 1984 to 1985.
- Member, Glasgow Enterprise Zone Task Force 1980 to 1982.
- Member, Scottish Development Agency Working Group on District Heating 1981 to 1982.
- Freeman of City of London
- Liveryman, Worshipful Company of Engineers
Technical Papers and Lectures
- Numerous on following topics: sulphur related combustion problems in power station boilers; heat recovery; Legionnaires Disease prevention; clinical waste disposal; environmental issues; logic and forensic engineering. All published in journals or at conferences.
- Has lectured on post-graduate forensic engineering course at the University of Glasgow.